How Often Should I Change My Engine Oil?
One of the most common questions our service experts get is one with a tough answer: “How often should I change my oil?” For most cars, the answer is going to vary, and you’ll need to consult your manual. If you’re ever unsure, we recommend trusting that old 3-month/3,000-mile recommendation, as there’s no such thing as having oil that’s too fresh – and you can schedule your oil change online now with AutoMax Hyundai of Norman.
The Importance of Engine Oil
You know the oil needs to be changed, but why?
- Engine oil keeps fast-moving engine parts sliding past each other smoothly.
- Oil reduces the friction and thus decreases the heat in your engine.
- Smoothly moving parts reduce the risk of metal-on-metal wear and tear.
If engine oil is so important, why do you need to change it? Put simply, it gets dirty.
The Dangers of Using Dirty or Low Oil
Using old or dirty oil or having low oil levels in your engine can be dangerous:
- Increased friction means increased engine temperatures and risk of warping expensive parts.
- Dirty engine oil can carry debris that scores aluminum components.
- Low engine oil can cause your engine to work harder due to a lack of oil pressure.
The long-term dangers of using old oil are simple: serious engine troubles. But they can be prevented with regular oil changes.
How Often Should You Change Your Oil
There’s not an easy answer here, as most cars can make it well past the 3-month/3,000-mile mark mechanics used to recommend. How long can your car go between oil changes?
- Check your owner’s manual to see how often you can go between oil changes.
- Be sure to check that the right oil is being used – different types can last longer than others.
- Remember there’s no such thing as oil that’s too fresh, so err on the side of caution when unsure.
How to Change It Out
In order to change out your oil, you’ll need a new filter, replacement oil, and a pan to catch the old oil.
- Let the car cool down if it has been running.
- Set up your pan beneath the drain plug and remove the plug.
- Clean and replace the drain plug.
- Remove the oil filter and replace it.
- Add fresh oil with a funnel and seal everything off.
- Recycle your engine oil.
Schedule Your Oil Change Today
While drivers should feel comfortable handling their own oil changes, we also know that it takes a lot of time and effort. Be sure to schedule your service appointment using the link above, and don’t hesitate to contact us online or by phone at (888) 974-8847 with any questions. You can drop by AutoMax Hyundai of Norman at 551 N Interstate Drive six days a week for an oil change, no need for an appointment.